Individuals who feel that they have been harassed should:
· Communicate to the harasser that the individual expects the behavior to stop, if the individual is comfortable doing so. If the individual wants
assistance communicating with the harasser, the individual should ask a teacher, counselor or principal to help.
· If the harassment does not stop, or the individual does not feel comfortable confronting the harasser, the individual should:
-- tell a teacher, counselor or principal; and
-- write down exactly what happened, keep a copy, and give another copy to the teacher, counsellor, principal or another appropriate
school employee including:
- what, when, and where it happened;
- who was involved;
- exactly what was said or what the harasser did;
- witnesses to the harassment;
- what the student said or did, either at the time or later;
- how the student felt; and
- how the harasser responded.
An individual who believes that the individual has been harassed or bullied will notify the building principal who will be the designated investigator. The alternate investigator is a Level I Investigator. The investigator may request that the individual complete the Harassment/Bullying Complaint form and turn over evidence of the harassment, including, but not limited to, letters, audio or video recordings, electronic communications and/or pictures. The complainant shall be given a copy of the completed complaint form. Information received during the investigation is kept confidential to the extent possible. The investigator has the authority to initiate an investigation in the absence of a written complaint.
The investigator will reasonably and promptly commence the investigation upon receipt of the complaint. The investigator will interview the complainant and the alleged harasser. The alleged harasser may file a written statement in response to the complaint. The investigator may also interview witnesses as deemed appropriate.
Upon completion of the investigation, the investigator will make written findings and conclusions as to each allegation of harassment and report the findings and conclusions to the Superintendent. The investigator will provide a copy of the findings of the investigation to the Superintendent.
Following receipt of the investigator's report, the Superintendent may investigate further, if deemed necessary, and make a determination of any appropriate additional steps which may include discipline.
Prior to the determination of the appropriate remedial action, the Superintendent may, at the Superintendent’s discretion, interview the complainant and the alleged harasser. The Superintendent will file a written report closing the case and documenting any disciplinary action taken or any other action taken in response to the complaint. The complainant, the alleged harasser, and the investigator will receive notice as to the conclusion of the investigation. The Superintendent will maintain a log of information necessary to comply with Iowa Department of Education reporting procedures.
· Evidence uncovered in the investigation is confidential.
· Complaints must be taken seriously and investigated.
· No retaliation will be taken against individuals involved in the investigation process.
· Retaliators will be disciplined up to and including suspension and expulsion.
If the principal is a witness to the incident or is the subject of the complaint, the alternate investigator shall investigate.
REVIEWED: 11/18/2019 - APPROVED 12/03/2019
REVISED: 02/05/2021 – APPROVED 03/15/2021