The Board will conduct an ongoing evaluation of the Superintendent on the Superintendent's skills, abilities, and competence. Annually, the Board will formally evaluate the Superintendent. The goal of the Superintendent's formal evaluation is to ensure the education program for the students is carried out, promote growth in effective administrative leadership, clarify the Superintendent's role, clarify the immediate priorities of the Board, and develop a working relationship between the Board and the Superintendent.
The formal evaluation will be based on the following principles:
- The evaluation criteria shall be in writing, clearly stated, and mutually agreed upon by the Board and the Superintendent.
- The evaluation criteria will be related to the Superintendent’s job description.
- The formal evaluation process will be conducted annually at a time previously agreed upon.
- Each Board member shall have an opportunity to individually evaluate the Superintendent, and these individual evaluations will be complied into an overall evaluation by the entire Board.
- The Board may discuss its evaluation of the Superintendent. This discussion may take place in closed session upon a request for a closed session from the Superintendent.
- The individual evaluation by each Board member, if the individual Board members so desire, will not be reviewed by the Superintendent. However, Board members are urged to communicate their criticisms and concerns to the Superintendent.
- The Board President will develop a written summary of the individual evaluations, including both the strengths and the weaknesses of the Superintendent, and place it in the Superintendent's personnel file to be incorporated into the next cycle of evaluations.
This policy supports and does not preclude the ongoing informal evaluation of the Superintendent's skills, abilities and competence.
REVIEWED: 11/18/2019 - APPROVED 12/03/2019